Friday 13 May 2011

ISS Solar Transit - 13th May 2011

First time I've tried to image the ISS crossing the sun. Seen lots of great images on the web, but naiively thought I'd need more sophisticated gear than I currently have.  Anyway, while browsing the web last night, I happened to check the ISS transit programme on CalSky just for interest. I was surprised to see that the centreline of the next transit was today, a mere 3km from my house. Too good to be true I thought, so I decided to give it a go and hope for the best. The total transit duration was predicted to last only 0.5 secs, so my timing needed to be pretty accurate.
Anyway, here's the result. I have to say I was dead chuffed. The close-up clearly shows the solar panels, with the station modules lying between, at an orientation of what looks like approaching end-on.

Details - 420mm telephoto with Baader solar film. 1/1250s at f8. 100 images taken at 5fps starting 10 seconds before the predicted start of transit.


Composite of 3 images taken 0.2 seconds apart



No comments:

Post a Comment