Saturday 21 May 2011

Nice cuppa, shame about the cloud

Would you believe it.

My pal Dave and I set-up our gear in his garden, in glorious sunshine, and awaited the ISS transit predicted for 9.45 this morning, with DSLR's and webcams at the ready. With about 1 minute to go, the only cloud to cover the sun during the whole morning slowly moved across the solar disk and we were plunged into shadow. I started exposures as I'd planned anyway - starting 10 seconds before the transit - in the hope that a break in the cloud at the crucial second of transit might appear. Sadly, no such luck and, as if to poke fun at us, the cloud slowly moved away from the disk 10 seconds after the end of the transit! The sun appeared on only the last few frames of my 100 exposure sequence. "Oh dear, never mind" we said to ourselves!

Oh well, the cuppa helped calm the stress and frustration at having missed the event.

Dave's superb observatory with my modest DSLR in front

The offending fluffy stuff

Peekaboo - 10 seconds after the end of the transit!




No comments:

Post a Comment